- Awards Season
- Big Stories
- Pop Culture
- Video Games
Creature Features: 8 Vampire Movies to Watch This Halloween
All sorts of things go bump in the night. Ghosts, ghouls, werewolves, witches — creatures that haunt our nightmares and ignite our imaginations. Then, there are vampires. These denizens of the dark hold a special place in human history; our ancestors were genuinely afraid to travel when the sun was down, lest vampires bleed them dry. Entire communities feared bats and wolves, believing them to be bloodsuckers in disguise. Vampire hunting became a legitimate profession in 18th century Europe. We really can’t overstate how much these monsters have messed with our minds over the years.
Maybe that’s why vampires have experienced so much success on the big screen. Vampires have frightened and excited audiences for decades — changing with the times and reflecting some of our darkest desires. As much as we dread these creatures of the night, there’s a small part of us that’s utterly fascinated with them.
Spooky season is in full swing this year, and many of us will participate in the festivities at home. Looking for a way to liven up the night? Here are eight iconic vampire movies to watch this Halloween.
Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror (or Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens in German) is a staple of the horror genre. This German Expressionist masterpiece was helmed by director F. W. Murnau and stars Max Schreck as the infamous Count Orlok.
Special effects and robust film sets weren’t exactly a thing in the early 20th century. Murnau instead relied on mind-bending camera angles, striking shadows and innovative set design to scare audiences. This film’s impact on the history of cinema can’t be exaggerated — many horror film franchises likely wouldn’t exist if Nosferatu hadn’t crept onto the scene and paved the way.
Nosferatu’s popularity spread across Europe like wildfire. It didn’t take long for American filmmakers to catch wind of F.W. Murnau’s success either. But here’s the thing: Nosferatu was essentially an adaptation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula — one that Murnau filmed without permission. Stoker’s wife successfully sued Murnau and Nosferatu was pulled from theaters. Enter Universal Pictures, which paid approximately $40,000 for the rights to adapt Dracula . Garrett Fort penned the script while Tod Browning took the director’s chair. Bela Lugosi was cast as the titular prince of darkness, and the rest is cinematic history.
Dracula is a genuinely terrifying landmark film. When many people think of Count Dracula, they think about Lugosi’s chilling performance. Universal’s adaptation takes plenty of inspiration from Nosferatu . However, Dracula is not a silent film; characters deliver their lines either with palpable dread or devilish delight. “Talkies” had only recently hit theaters in the early 1900s. Dracula helped legitimize sound films and reshape the movie industry.
Dracula/The Horror of Dracula (1958)
Similar to sound films, Technicolor movies were also relative rarities in the early 20th century. Films were primarily shot on black and white stock, and filmgoers were accustomed to greyscale pictures. The opposite was true by the 1950s, which is when The Horror of Dracula hit the scene. Hammer Films spared no expense when it adapted Bram Stoker’s timeless tale; special effects and ornate gothic sets were specifically created for this film. The Horror of Dracula is also a much more visceral visual experience due to being shot in color.
We’d be remiss not to praise Christopher Lee’s performance as Count Dracula; he aimed to play the character as a “heroic, erotic and romantic” figure — one that was just as mystifying as he was terrifying. Lee’s good friend Peter Cushing starred as Doctor Van Helsing, further elevating the film. And The Horror of Dracula revealed something truly harrowing about vampires: they were dark reflections of human nature.
The United States’ counterculture movement gathered momentum in the 1960s and persisted well into the 1970s. People vocalized dissatisfaction with the government, civil rights initiatives swept the nation and artists used their platforms to critique the powers that be. The Blaxploitation films of the 1970s echoed these sentiments, challenging decades-old stereotypes that were (and still are) imposed on the Black community. Blacula is precisely what its name implies; an adaptation of Stoker’s tale made primarily for Black people by Black people.
The late William Marshall portrays Prince Mamuwalde, a Nigerian man who asked the original Count Dracula (Charles Macaulay) to intervene during the transatlantic slave trade. For his trouble, Prince Mamuwalde was transformed into Blacula, sealed in a coffin and transported to America. Indeed, Count Blacula is a tragic anti-villain; he was stripped of his identity, taken from his homeland and left to fend for himself in a hostile environment. Allegorical, innovative and genuinely frightening, Blacula is worth a watch — and post-screening analysis.
The Lost Boys (1987)
Drugs, sex, rock n’ roll and excess are hallmarks of the 1980s — hallmarks that naturally found their way into ’80s cinema. The Lost Boys epitomizes this trend; “It’s fun to be a vampire” is the film’s tagline, and that sentiment is more than reinforced throughout its runtime. Vampires are ageless, powerful, beautiful beings who live by their own rules and party like rockstars in The Lost Boys. That’s the scariest part about this film — how enticing vampirism can seem on the surface.
The Lost Boys can also be viewed as a metacommentary of the 1980s. Vampirism is an analogy for the excess and hedonism of the decade. Just like it seemed “fun to be a vampire,” it also seemed fun to be a hard-partying rockstar. Spellbinding performances by a committed cast, strong directing by Joel Schumacher and a compelling script helped The Lost Boys break new ground. Vampires weren’t just creepy anymore. They were also undeniably cool.
You can’t talk about cool vampire movies without giving Blade its due. The 1990s were an incredibly experimental time for the film industry; spec scripts were being produced by the dozens and comic book adaptations were becoming much more prevalent. Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan created Blade in 1973 for Marvel Comics. At last, in 1998, Wesley Snipes would bring the Daywalker to life on the big screen. Directed by Stephen Norrington and written by David S. Goyer, Blade redefined what superhero movies and vampire films could be. Action, horror, pathos and even a bit of comedy are seamlessly woven into this film.
Though Blade was initially overlooked when it premiered, the film has since been recognized for setting several precedents. It’s one of the first Black superhero movies to achieve widespread critical and commercial success, grossing $131.2 million off of a $45 million budget. Blade also paved the way for many of the superhero films that have become commonplace today; it’s not a stretch to suggest that Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man trilogy, the Underworld franchise and even the Marvel Cinematic Universe wouldn’t exist if Blade hadn’t resonated with audiences. Lastly, this film proved that vampires could transcend genres; Blade is more of an action film than a horror flick, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
Hate it or love it, Twilight’s impact on cinema is undeniable. This adaptation of Stephanie Meyer’s 2005 novel was an international phenomenon in its heyday. It focused solely on the romantic aspects of vampirism — living forever, being young forever and loving forever. If reading that sentence was painful for you, imagine how excruciating it was to write.
Personal feelings aside, Twilight is an iconic film in its own right. It spawned four sequels, launched numerous careers and kept vampires at the forefront of our collective imagination from 2008 to 2012. Even Burger King got in on the Team Edward vs. Team Jacob debacle. Twilight ultimately proved that there was still a thriving, thirsting market for vampire films in the 21st century.
Blood Red Sky (2021)
We end with Blood Red Sky, a British-German Netflix film that’s equal parts graphic, terrifying and heart-wrenching. The film follows Nadja and her son Elias as they try to survive aboard a hijacked airplane. Discussing this film in detail without spoiling it is virtually impossible, but we can say this: Blood Red Sky focuses on the toll that vampirism would exact on a person’s family, community and mental state. Scenes unfold at an intentionally deliberate pace. Minor characters and extras are treated with a degree of respect that we don’t often see.
In many ways, Blood Red Sky is the culmination of the vampire films that precede it; there are genuine scares here, alongside meta-commentary, dazzling action scenes and genuine pathos. Blood Red Sky proves that vampire films can make viewers cry — not out of fear, but out of true remorse.
MORE FROM ASK.COM
🎉 Our next novel writing master class starts in – ! Claim your spot →
BEST VAMPIRE WRITING PROMPTS
Join (probably?) the world's largest writing contest. Flex those creative muscles with weekly writing prompts.
Showing 23 prompts reset
- About six years ago, he was turned into a vampire by his best friend. This is the story of everything that happened since.
Write a short story that ends with the question: "Will you join me?"
- Write a story from the perspective of a third party who witnesses the moment that someone gets turned into a vampire.
Write a story about revenge.
- Write a short story about a vampire hunter on a mission to kill the last remaining vampire in the world.
Introducing Prompted , a new magazine written by you!
🏆 Featuring 12 prize-winning stories from our community. Download it now for FREE .
Write a story that starts with: "That was the last time she saw herself alive."
Write about a vampire who becomes an editor at a publishing house in a desperate attempt to edit twilight for accuracy., write a story about a vampire trying to cross international borders., write about a vampire who has just tried a bite of pasta for the first time in 241 years., write about the concept of mortality from the perspective of a vampire., subscribe to our prompts newsletter.
Never miss a prompt! Get curated writing inspiration delivered to your inbox each week.
- Your favorite coffin has been stolen. What do you do?
In the form of text messages, write a conversation between a young tech-savvy vampire and an ancient vampire who doesn't know how to text.
- In the form of letters, write a love story between two vampires.
- Write a story that details the rise and fall of a vampire clan.
The cure to vampirism has just been discovered. Do the vampires in your world decide to take it, or forgo it?
Write about two vampires who have a meet-cute after one has accidentally spills a pint of blood over the other..
- Write about a vampire who hates the taste of blood.
- You are a bat, and you and your bat friends are annoyed when some noisy vampires rudely move into your cave.
A vampire and a werewolf walk into a bar.
Write a story involving a friendship between two different species., win $250 in our short story competition 🏆.
We'll send you 5 prompts each week. Respond with your short story and you could win $250!
Contest #227 LIVE
Enter our weekly contest.
This week's theme: Snowed Under
Contest entries, closes at 23:59 - dec 08, 2023 est, recent contests ✍️.
#226 – Temptation Time
#225 – Mirror, Mirror on the Wall
#224 – Night Owls and Early Birds
#223 – Academia
Recent winners 🏆
Olivier Breuleux – read
Mallory Jones – read
AnneMarie Miles – read
Audrey McKenna – read
#1 Zilla Babbitt
#2 Deidra Whitt Lovegren
#3 Abigail Airuedomwinya
#4 Graham Kinross
#5 Scout Tahoe
#6 Thom Brodkin
#7 Rayhan Hidayat
#8 Deborah Mercer
#9 Michał Przywara
#10 Corey Melin
The best vampire writing prompts
Grab your garlic and don't go out after dark — there are vampires about. Vampire stories are a staple of our literary diet, whether we're talking about the kind of undead creatures thirsting for blood that are the stuff of myth and legend, or the dreamy hunks in Twilight. We've put together our collection of vampire writing prompts to give you a whole host of ideas with bite.
Here are our top ten vampire writing prompts:
- Write a short story that ends with the question: "Will you join me?"
- Write about a vampire or werewolf who moves into a quiet suburban neighborhood.
Want some more help writing your vampire story? Here are some free resources:
- The Ultimate Worldbuilding Guide (free resource) — When writing vampire fiction, you'll want to get your lore right. What are your vampires' strenghts and weaknesses? How does the transformation happen? Do they sleep in a coffin and have to aboid the sun, or are they able to move among us comfortably? To help iron out these details and make sure you have all the information before writing, try filling out our worldbuilding guide.
- How to Write a Horror Story: 7 Tips for Writing Horror (blog post) — Our horror writing bible. If your story leans on the side of scary, you can learn how to terrify you victim — and your reader — with this handy guide.
Want more help learning how to write a vampire short story? Check out How to Write a Short Story That Gets Published — a free, ten day course guiding you through the process of short story writing by Laura Mae Isaacman, a full-time editor who runs a book editing company in Brooklyn.
Ready to start writing? Check out Reedsy’s weekly short story contest , for the chance of winning $250! You can also check out our list of writing contests or our directory of literary magazines for more opportunities to submit your story.
NEW VIDEO COURSE 🎉
How to Write a Novel
Join Tom Bromley for a writing master class and finish your first draft in 3 months . Learn more →
Explore more writing prompt ideas:
Adults Writing Prompts ⭢
Adventure Writing Prompts ⭢
Angst Writing Prompts ⭢
Character Writing Prompts ⭢
Christmas Writing Prompts ⭢
Dark Writing Prompts ⭢
Dialogue Writing Prompts ⭢
Dramatic Writing Prompts ⭢
Dystopian Writing Prompts ⭢
Fall Writing Prompts ⭢
Fantasy Writing Prompts ⭢
Fiction Writing Prompts ⭢
Fluff Writing Prompts ⭢
Funny Writing Prompts ⭢
Halloween Writing Prompts ⭢
High School Writing Prompts ⭢
Historical Fiction Writing Prompts ⭢
Holiday Writing Prompts ⭢
Horror Writing Prompts ⭢
Kids Writing Prompts ⭢
Middle School Writing Prompts ⭢
Mystery Writing Prompts ⭢
Narrative Writing Prompts ⭢
Nonfiction Writing Prompts ⭢
Novel Writing Prompts ⭢
Poetry Writing Prompts ⭢
Romance Writing Prompts ⭢
Sad Writing Prompts ⭢
Science Fiction Writing Prompts ⭢
Short Story Writing Prompts ⭢
Spring Writing Prompts ⭢
Summer Writing Prompts ⭢
Teens Writing Prompts ⭢
Thanksgiving Writing Prompts ⭢
Thriller and Suspense Writing Prompts ⭢
Valentine's Day Writing Prompts ⭢
Vampire Writing Prompts ⭢
Winter Writing Prompts ⭢
Oops, you need an account for that!
Log in with your social account:
Or enter your email:
Writing Prompts about Vampires
Who doesn’t love vampires? If you want to write about vampires, but you’re low on fresh ideas, check out this list for inspiration! These prompts can be used to inspire short stories, novels, roleplays, comics, and more, but you can also use them for warmups and practice!
Short Vampire Writing Prompts
- No one told you vampirism came with amnesia. Or…. maybe they did. You wouldn’t have remembered anyway.
- A vampire works as a bartender at a cocktail bar for vampires—meaning the base for all the drinks is blood.
- A renowned vampire hunter is turned during one of their hunts. Do they continue hunting vampires for revenge, or do they have a change of heart now that they can relate to the struggles?
- A vampire cradles their dying human friend in their arms. They have a limited time to convince them to let them turn them into a vampire. What is their conversation like, and does the vampire manage to convince the human to become a vampire to save themself?
- A newly turned vampire develops a lisp after their new fangs grow in. Ashamed of this, they practice speaking when home alone, and avoid speaking at all when out in public.
- A vampire unknowingly drinks from an intoxicated person, and becomes intoxicated themself!
- Create a new kind of vampire. How are they different from traditional depictions of vampires, and how are they similar? Keep the primary conventions of vampirism (such as having to leech off humans to survive), but make things a bit more interesting!
- You always assumed all vampires would automatically gain a good fashion sense and a flawless memory. As it turns out, that’s not the case, as evidenced by your many decades of dressing like a slob and never being able to recall what you had for lunch yesterday. You haven’t even bothered to learn any new skills in that time either. You can’t help but feel a bit embarrassed and intimidated when you attend vampire gatherings.
- There has been a vampire sighting in a nearby town. You and a few other amateur vampire hunters flock to the area for fun, but are soon in over your heads when you come face to face with a real vampire.
- As it turns out, vampires make excellent nurses.
- Rather than drinking blood, some vampires are sustained by the thoughts, memories, and energy of those around them. One vampire consumes the nightmares of their lover with PTSD.
- A coven of witches have managed to make themselves immortal, but it requires drinking human blood regularly to work. To supply themselves with blood, they regularly abduct humans to sacrifice.
- Have an old vampire recounting the truth of a particular historical period, from the perspective of what life was like being a monster at that time. (For tips on researching a historical period, you can check out The 10 Best Ways to Research for a Story! )
- Rather than having large fangs, vampires have a long, sharp, proboscis-like tongue for drinking blood. Aside from that one feature, it is impossible to tell the difference between a vampire and a human.
Vampire Story Prompts
- Your main character has been falsely accused of being a vampire. Now, they have to hide from both vampires and human vampire hunters, while trying to make a case to prove that they aren’t the monster people think they are.
- Vampires are real, but they aren’t much of a threat. The real threat is the ruling political party, which has been accusing political opponents of vampirism to have them executed for years now. They are able to stay in power by capitalizing on the public’s overwhelming fear of vampires.
- A rookie vampire hunter is taken on a hunting mission with some more experienced vampire hunters. However, when it is revealed that the “menacing vampire” they came to kill was just a small child, the rookie has second thoughts. They are unable to stop their comrades from killing the child, but the experience inspires them to switch sides and advocate for the rights of vampires.
- Many different types of vampires coexist within the same world. Some are averse to garlic and the sun, some have super strength or speed, some are strictly nocturnal while others don’t mind being out during the day. Some need to drink frequently, while others only need a pick-me-up every now and then. Some resemble undead monsters, while others are classy and charismatic. Some can even turn into bats. When two different types of vampires have a kid together, the results can be… unpredictable.
- It didn’t take long for society to realize that vampires are just the superior life form. They’re powerful, immune to disease, can live forever, and look good doing it. Soon, everyone wanted to be a vampire. The rich and powerful in society started paying vampires to turn them, while those who couldn’t afford it were forced to stay mortal. Now, several centuries later, the ruling vampires are still alive, and charging the humans a monthly blood tax in exchange for being allowed to live.
- Half vampires, known as “dhampirs,” are not immortal, not strong, and still reliant on human blood to stay alive. Essentially, they get all the drawbacks and none of the positives of being a vampire. The only way for dhampirs to become true vampires is if their vampire parent turns them. If any other vampire tries to do it, it won’t work. Two dhampir siblings embark on a mission to find their estranged vampire parent, so they can finally become true vampires.
- An elder vampire ends up caring for a human child. They want to give the kid the best possible life: a chance to go to a good school, a social life, extracurricular activities, and much more. However, they have to try to provide all of this while staying out of sight, lest a vampire hunter finds them and tries to hurt them.
- Almost everyone is a vampire now. An alternative was found for human blood, so humans are not required to sustain vampires. However, many rich vampires still believe human blood is a luxury and a delicacy. The few humans that are still alive are kept on a farm, where their blood is routinely harvested throughout their lives to make a profit. The protagonist is a human who has grown up on one of these farms, and is determined to make a change.
- Before burial, it is customary to remove the heart of the deceased and burn it, to ensure they don’t return as a vampire. One family who just lost their daughter doesn’t like the idea of mutilating her body, and buries her privately to keep it a secret from the authorities. Three nights later, her body is gone, and only a small trench of loose soil remains where she used to be. The family must now hunt down the monster they created before she can hurt anyone, and before the townspeople realize what they’ve done. (This plot also works well with zombies. Check this out for more zombie writing prompts! )
Writing About Vampires
Vampires have a long history of being used in fiction. From the ancient folklore vampires who could remove their heads to the classic tale of Dracula and the infamous Twilight series, vampires have been the uncrowned king of monsters for some time—and this trend doesn’t seem to be dying off any time soon. Vampires continue to evolve with each new story that comes out, so even though it may seem like every story about vampires has already been told a million times, there will always be room for innovation.
Have fun with these, writers!
Friend's Email Address
Your Email Address
Vampire Writing Prompts—Over 15 Ideas That Are Sure To Give A Fright
- July 24, 2022
Are you looking for ideas for your next scary story? Are you a fan of the vampire horror genre and want to create your own blood-sucking characters ?
If so, you’re in the right place.
Below we’ve included a list of over 15 vampire-themed ideas for short stories (or longer stories if you like!)
Vampire writing prompts and story ideas
We all grew up with vampire stories. From classic vampire novel Dracula to modern YA series Twilight , vampires are some of the most popular monsters in literature.
Given our exposure to vampire fiction, we can easily make up a few vampire stories.
The rules are changeable – some vampires can’t go out in the light, while others need more than a stake to the heart to die.
When writing your own story, you can make up your own rules. It’s wise to use known, common vampire traits such as thirst for human blood or immortality. Again, this is your story, and you create any kind of vampire you like.
Vampire writing prompts
- A retired vampire hunter picks up the stake once again when a pack of vampires begins to terrorize local high school students. Write about the vampire hunter’s background, their last hunt before retirement, and the connection between that last hunt and the current vampire culprits.
- Write a vampire’s recount of his life so far, covering the periods of history he saw and his influence on them politically and socially.
- In this world, vampires dominate. The few humans on the planet hide in fear, but they must leave their hideout and seek food every few days. Write a short story from the perspective of one of the remaining humans about living in hiding and the risks of going out to look for food.
- Write a story about a world in which humans and vampires must learn to live in harmony.
- A police detective is assigned to investigate a series of murders. Each victim has two punctured holes in their neck, but the case has been at a standstill for months. The detective is the vampire.
- A man is diagnosed with a life-threatening illness. Fearing death, he seeks a vampire to stay alive.
- A family man gets bitten by a vampire. He experiences all the symptoms – fangs grow, he has thirst for blood, aversion to sunlight, and immortality. Write a story about this man’s attempts to maintain his normal life while living with vampirism.
- In a world where most people are vampires, write a story from the perspective of one of the last remaining humans.
Vampire story ideas
Look no further if you’re looking for inspiration for a new vampire story.
Below we’ve got some simple but engaging story ideas to help you craft your own vampire story. Feel free to chop and change any details of these story ideas to suit your writing style and imagination better.
Combine elements of different stories if you like, or see one through to the end.
A fellow barman at a cocktail bar works until 6 am. When closing time comes and the sun starts to rise, he’s always in a rush to get out and get home. One day, he gets delayed and doesn’t make it out before sunrise. He can’t leave, but the bar needs to close.
Stuck and needing help, he reveals his secret to you – he can’t go out in the sun because he’s a vampire.
Vampires are real, but they no longer hunt humans (most of the time). To keep a low profile in their communities, vampires in this world only eat animals. A hunt begins when one vampire is overcome with greed and goes on a bloody rampage, draining the blood of many of the local farmers’ animals.
The farmers and townspeople set out on a hunt for the mysterious beast killing their livestock. Will the real killer manage to lure a few humans from the pack?
Seven strangers are invited to a beautiful island mansion. The invitation does not inform them of the sender, but they go anyway. The butlers and maids show each guest to their rooms. That evening, all guests are invited to dinner. At the head of the table sits the host and an old, gray-haired man with a smirk.
A human-vampire romantic relationship is tested when the human gets fatally injured in a street fight. The vampire can save the human, but only by turning him into a vampire so he can live forever. Write a story about the conversation between these two lovers as time runs out and the only options are death or vampirism.
Gartrell is a vampire, but he doesn’t drink human blood. In this world, vampires are not known for drinking blood but for draining consciousness from a person through their minds. These vampires are telepathic and can make a person reveal their innermost secrets and traumas by looking at them intently. Eventually, the person loses memory and passes out.
What do the vampires in this world gain from consuming others’ memories?
A teenage boy has vampire fantasies from reading too much vampire lore. He wants to be a vampire, to the pain of his parents, who must tell him repeatedly that vampires are not real. One dark evening, the boy meets an eclectically dressed man on a walk home from school.
The man informs him that he is a vampire and knows what the boy wants. He offers to bring the boy on that night’s hunt to introduce him to the world of vampirism. On the hunt, the boy learns just how gruesome and brutal vampires are and tries to make his escape.
What happens to the boy?
The most elite members of society seek to maintain their status by achieving immortality. Large sums of money are offered to the Vampire Counsel to turn these elites into creatures of the night, granting them immortality, immunity to disease, and incredible strength. Soon, the blood-sucking elite exerts their dominance over the laypeople. The new vampires rule the world and call for a blood tax.
An older vampire reflects on his life so far and sees the error of his ways. He wants to make amends for the death and pain he has caused in his life. He stumbles across an abandoned baby in the woods and decides to care for it. He does the best he can, but the vampire hunters in the area don’t know about his wish for repentance and intend to kill him.
Write about this old vampire’s attempts to change his ways while avoiding being hunted and persecuted.
Vampire writing tips
When writing about vampires, it’s best to avoid heavy use of cliché.
Of course, you’ll need to incorporate the classic themes – blood-sucking, turning a human into a vampire, and an effective method of killing vampires – but you can still create an original piece with these considerations.
Don’t focus on the shock value of a vampire. We’re well versed in vampire literature, and their concept is no longer scary. Instead, focus more on your vampire as a character with a background rather than solely a vampire.
Giving the vampire(s) in your story a vivid life is essential. Being a vampire comes with challenges – no longer having a normal life, out-living all of your loved ones, and having to kill or turn people to feed.
Incorporate your character’s struggles, weaknesses, and desires to enrich them and make your story more engaging for the reader.
If you’ve got a favorite vampire story, feel free to take inspiration from that story when it comes to writing your own .
The vampire horror genre is broad, and countless vampire stories exist, so you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. Be inspired by the stories you heard and read growing up, but don’t be afraid to offer your creative input.
Leave a Comment Cancel Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Sign up to our newsletter!
120 Motivational Quotes About Writing To Inspire A New Writer Like You
How To Register A Kindle On Amazon To Enjoy Your Ebooks In 4 Easy Ways
How To Market A Self-Published Book And Be Profitable In 9 Easy Ways
Vampire Romance Story Ideas and Writing Prompts (2023)
Looking for enticing vampire romance story ideas and writing prompts? You’ve come to the right place! Read on for prompts like a vampire who needs a medical attention and the puzzled doctor who treats them, or a vampire hunter who gifts a vampire they caught to a wealthy collector of rare oddities!
Jump to Section
Modern Vampire Romance Prompts
Enemies to lovers vampire romance prompts, other vampire romance prompts.
- About Vampire Romance
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Related posts: Horror Setting Ideas: An Imaginative List ! 22 Spellbinding Witch Story Ideas Deep Dark Fantasy Ideas Werewolf Story Ideas and Prompts
Vampire Romance Writing Prompts
Feel like all the tropes in this subgenre have all been explored? Fear not because I have a bunch of vampire prompts and ideas percolating on the back of my mind that I’m gonna share with you!
I hope the ideas below are original. However, undoubtedly with the popularity of this trope, something similar could have existed out there already. But sometimes the smallest details matter, and make all the difference!
Please note that the genders in these starters are just placeholders and do not mean to enforce any hurtful stereotypes nor offend anyone.
Here are some vampire romance writing prompts set in the modern or urban settings, because the idea of having vampires walking amongst us, riding on the train with us, working or studying alongside us, is tantalizing. Read on!
1. A Sip of Love
Picture a vampire who works as a phlebotomist (phlebotomists draw blood for tests, transfusions, research, or blood donations), occasionally indulging in a sip of blood or two while on the job. Now, meet a jittery first-time blood donor, uneasy around needles, who unwittingly captivates the vampire. Can they navigate this unique encounter? 💉(Originally appeared on my post 25 Non-Cliché Meet Cute Ideas .)
2. A Quest for Mortality
Imagine an immortal vampire, haunted by the loss of his true love, desperate to embrace mortality and experience old age as his late partner did. Picture an unlikely partnership with a quirky, vampire-loathing physician. Can their journey spark an unexpected change of heart for both? 💕
3. Pour Decisions
What if a vampire entrepreneur opens a blood bar 🍹, mixing up an array of blood-flavored cocktails for fellow vampires tired of same ol’ hemoglobin? Then, picture a regular human walking in, mistaking this for an ordinary bar. Cue the unexpected encounter and potential chaos!
4. Fanged Godfather
Ever thought about a vampire mafia? Picture this: their immortality gives them an edge in the ruthless mafia world, making them the ultimate mob boss. 💼🧛 Immune to the usual dangers, they reign with a bite and a vengeance.
5. When Ink Bleeds Red
Imagine an oblivious reporter 🎤📝 who interviews said mob boss about their business. Then a snowstorm hits and traps the reporter in the vampire’s lair. What dangers lurk in the shadows? And what will happen when the vampire can’t resist the allure of the reporter’s blood? (Originally appeared on my post Mafia Romance Story Ideas .)
6. The Night Patient
Ever thought about a vampire seeking medical help after a gunshot wound? Picture this: their supernatural anatomy baffles the physician. How do they convince the doctor to hush up about their secret identity?🤫
7. Written in the Stars
Imagine a vampire who loves stargazing, and a human astronomer who catches them in the act. Could their love be written in the stars? ⭐
8. The Secret Ingredient
An immortal vampire chef runs a food truck. A human food critic with a keen palate discovers their secret ingredient. Can love spice up their lives? 🍴
9. The Night Paramedic
Imagine a vampire paramedic saving a human’s life. Can a brush with death spark a love that defies life and death? 🚑
10. Awakening Shadows
A prompt idea based on the picture below. Imagine a museum curator, lost in their work, accidentally resurrecting an ancient vampire count hidden within a museum artifact. Cue the frantic attempt to hide both the slip-up and the thirsty count, all while fearing the boss’s wrath. 🏛️
(Please click on the image for more information about it.)
Here are some vampire romance writing prompts exploring the delicious enemies-to-lovers trope!
1. Thorns and Petals
A vampire florist specializing in carnivorous plants and a human wedding planner are forced to collaborate on an extravagant gothic wedding. Will their artistic differences blossom into a love as beautiful as the flowers they work with? 🌸
2. More Than Words
A reserved human librarian and a lively vampire author clash over a controversial book. Can their literary feud write a love story that captivates more than just words? 📖
3. Masked Love
A young vampire prince/princess and a rebellious human servant cross paths at a lavish masquerade ball. Will their secret identities lead to a masked love beyond their stations? 🎭
4. Supernatural Secret
Imagine a love caught in a supernatural secret. A vampire hides his true identity from his beloved fiancée, who’s equally determined to keep her witchy nature concealed from him. Can their love endure the truth that threatens to turn them from lovers to enemies, and perhaps, find its way back to love once more?🧙♀️
5. A Paranormal Affair
Two competing paranormal investigation teams – one led by a vampire and the other by a human skeptic – are forced to work together. Can their ghostly rivalry turn into an unearthly romance? 🌃
6. Smoke and Mirrors
A vampire magician and a human illusionist compete for the spotlight in a grand magical performance. Can their on-stage rivalry spark an off-stage love story full of enchantment? 🎩
Picture a medieval physician concealing a vampiric secret, utilizing bloodletting as a disguise for easy access to blood. What unfolds when they inadvertently drink from a patient and find themselves peculiarly addicted to that individual’s blood? 🩸
8. Immortal Hunt
An alternate reality where vampires, the once feared, are now hunted for the gift of immortality their blood holds. Explore the complex dynamic between a seasoned vampire hunter and the vampire they pursue. Can fate rewrite the narrative in this chase of a lifetime? 🎯
9. Invite and Conquer
Imagine a vampire who exploits the ‘invitation only’ rule to attend diverse events—weddings, funerals, birthdays—gaining a free pass to indulge in their desires. Now, envision a vigilant receptionist or venue manager catching on, attempting to ban the cunning vampire from their frequented venues. Drama, anyone? 💌
10. Hunter’s Heartbreak
A prompt idea based on the picture below. Envision a vampire hunter whose world shatters when their beloved fiancé/fiancée is turned into a vampire following a harrowing incident. 💔
Here are some vampire romance writing prompts and story ideas exploring various other themes such as trope subversions as well as trope exploitations!
1. Old and New
Picture a vampire who doesn’t require an invitation to come into someone’s house to do as they like because… the house was once theirs. When the new owner moves in, instead of intimidating them to leave, the vampire finds an unexpected attraction pulling them toward the newcomer. 🏠
2. Topsy Turvy
Imagine a world where vampire lore is all wrong. Garlic doesn’t repel them, crucifixes hold no fear, and sunlight is harmless. Then, picture an adorable but inefficient vampire hunter who’s still operating on the old clichés. Little do they know, a vampire they pursue finds their adorable misconceptions endearing and decides to play along. 🧄
3. Fashion Faux Pas
Picture a vampire, who is unable to see themselves in mirrors, with disheveled appearance. They then hires a stylist who’s perpetually baffled by the vampire’s lack of style sense and, moreover, at the absence of mirrors in their abode.🪞
4. Unexpected Capture
A vampire is forced to shift into a bat during a crisis, but stuck in that form due to exhaustion. Along comes a zoologist, biologist, or zookeeper who captures the bat during this unexpected predicament and takes it to their home. What unfolds when the vampire regains their human form at the most inconvenient of times?🦇
5. Hybrid Alliance
Imagine a twist of fate: a vampire unknowingly bites a werewolf, who in turn bites the vampire. Now, they’re both part vampire and part werewolf. Former enemies find themselves with no alternative but to unite, guiding each other through the unfamiliar terrain of the dual worlds they’ve introduced to one another. 🤝
6. The Exchange
A vampire hunter offers a female vampire as a unique gift to a wealthy collector of rare creatures and oddities in exchange for a favor. Dive into the intrigue and unravel the consequences. 🎁
Now that we’ve seen some out-of-the-box vampire romance writing prompts, let’s dive deeper into the genre!
Vampire romance is a branch of the paranormal romance subgenre, made famous by release of Twilight in 2005 by Stephanie Meyer. Since its release, the series have gained immense popularity and commercial success around the world.
Why are we fascinated by vampires, you ask?
Reader’s fascination with vampires lies partly in the portrayal of these supernatural beings as enigmatic and suave characters. The idea that a fantastic, enigmatic and gorgeous otherworldly being can fall madly in love with a regular, plain human creates a delightful escape for readers who identifies themselves with the protagonist.
To truly fall into the “romance” genre, the narrative must conclude in either a happy-for-now ending, or a happily-ever-after ending. This is also often the case with vampire romance stories, or else, readers who expect “romance” might feel “betrayed”. Within this genre, narratives may carry a dark undertone. However, by attributing redeeming qualities to the vampire characters, a justified happy ending—whether happy-for-now or happily-ever-after —can be woven into the tale.
Those are some vampire romance writing prompts that hopefully will spark your imagination! If you need more story ideas and prompts, please browse our Story Ideas & Writing Prompts category!
Have any question or feedback? Feel free to contact me here . Until next time!
Crime Thriller Story Ideas That Captivate Us (Updated in 2023)
Tragic Love Story Ideas We’re Rooting For (Updated in 2023)
Leave a comment cancel reply.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)
150 Vampire Romance Writing Prompt Ideas
Vampires have been a popular theme in literature, film, and television for centuries, and their allure shows no signs of fading. Whether you're a seasoned romance writer or just starting out, these prompts will help inspire your next vampire romance story. So grab your pen and paper, and let your imagination run wild as you explore these tantalizing ideas!
1. A young woman falls in love with a vampire who has been alive for centuries, but struggles to accept the fact that he will never age.
2. A young princess falls in love with a cursed prince who has been turned into a vampire, and must find a way to break the spell and free him from his curse.
3. A young woman discovers that she is the reincarnation of a vampire's long-lost love, and must come to terms with her newfound powers and the fact that she has been brought back to life for a purpose.
4. A vampire and a human are forced to marry for political reasons, but over time they grow to love each other despite their differences.
5. A vampire falls in love with a human who is allergic to sunlight, forcing him to confront his own inability to walk in the daylight.
6. A young woman becomes a vampire against her will, and must learn to navigate her new powers and urges while also trying to hide her true identity from those she loves.
7. A vampire falls in love with a human who is being hunted by a group of vampire hunters, and must find a way to protect her while also hiding his true identity.
8. A vampire and a human are thrown together on a journey across the world, and must rely on each other to survive while also trying to resist their growing feelings for one another.
9. A group of vampires and humans must work together to defeat a common enemy, but as they spend more time together, they find themselves falling for one another.
10. A human discovers that her true love is a vampire who has been alive for centuries, and must decide whether she is willing to give up her own mortality to be with him.
11. A vampire falls in love with a human who is obsessed with vampire folklore, but struggles to convince her that he is the real deal.
12. A teenage girl discovers that she is descended from a long line of vampire hunters, but finds herself torn between her duty to destroy the vampires and her growing feelings for a mysterious, handsome vampire.
13. A group of vampires must learn to coexist with humans and navigate the challenges of modern society, while also trying to keep their true identities a secret.
14. A vampire and a human fall in love, but their relationship is complicated by the fact that the vampire must feed on human blood to survive.
15. A young woman becomes a vampire against her will, and must learn to navigate her new powers and urges while also trying to hide her true identity from those she loves.
16. A vampire falls in love with a human who is immune to his charms, and must find a way to win her over without using his powers.
17. A vampire and a human are thrown together on a journey across Europe, and must rely on each other to survive while also trying to resist their growing feelings for one another.
18. A vampire must confront his dark past and the demons that haunt him in order to win the love of a human woman who is determined to save him.
19. A vampire and a human are forced to marry for political reasons, but over time they grow to love each other despite their differences.
20. A vampire falls in love with a human who is reincarnated over and over again throughout history, and must find a way to be with her in each of her lives.
21. A vampire must choose between his love for a human woman and his loyalty to his coven.
22. In a future where humans and vampires coexist, a young human falls in love with a vampire who is struggling to keep their true nature hidden from society.
23. In a world where vampires are hunted and discriminated against, a group of rebels fight for their rights and the freedom to love whoever they choose.
24. A hacker and a vampire team up to take down a corrupt corporation that is exploiting both humans and vampires for profit.
25. A vampire must navigate the dangerous underworld of a futuristic city to find the human they love, who has been kidnapped by a powerful mafia boss.
26. A group of humans with special abilities, known as "gifteds," are targeted by a group of vampires seeking to use their powers for their own gain.
27. In a future where vampires are seen as celebrities, a famous vampire falls in love with their human bodyguard, causing a media frenzy.
28. A human and a vampire are forced to work together to survive in a post-apocalyptic world where resources are scarce and danger lurks around every corner.
29. In a world where vampires are created through technology, a young woman discovers that she is a vampire and must come to terms with her new identity while also navigating a forbidden romance.
30. A vampire and a human fall in love while trying to uncover the mystery of a series of murders in a post-apocalyptic city.
31. In a world where vampires are hunted for their blood, a young human is turned into a vampire and must flee from those who seek to use them for their own gain.
32. A human discovers that her true love is a vampire, and must decide whether to join him in eternal life or let him go.
33. A vampire falls in love with a human who is allergic to sunlight, forcing him to confront his own inability to walk in the daylight.
34. A vampire and a human must navigate the complexities of a long-distance relationship, with the added challenge of the vampire's need to travel at night.
35. A human woman discovers that she is the reincarnation of a vampire's long-lost love, and must come to terms with her newfound powers and the fact that she has been brought back to life for a purpose.
36. A vampire falls in love with a human who is being hunted by a group of vampire hunters, and must find a way to protect her while also hiding his true identity.
37. A group of vampires and humans must work together to defeat a common enemy, but as they spend more time together, they find themselves falling for one another.
38. A vampire falls in love with a human who is immune to his powers of persuasion, forcing him to win her over through sheer charm and wit.
39. A human discovers that her true love is a vampire who has been alive for centuries, and must decide whether she is willing to give up her own mortality to be with him.
40. A vampire falls in love with a human who is obsessed with vampire folklore, but struggles to convince her that he is the real deal.
41. A young Chinese woman falls in love with a vampire who has been hiding in the shadows of Chinese society for centuries, but struggles with the cultural expectations placed upon her as a woman and the taboo nature of their relationship.
42. A Chinese vampire and a human must navigate the complexities of a forbidden romance against the backdrop of the cultural and political turmoil of China's tumultuous history.
43. A Chinese vampire falls in love with a human who is reincarnated over and over again throughout Chinese history, and must find a way to be with her in each of her lives while also hiding from those who would persecute their love.
44. A Chinese vampire and a human are thrown together on a journey across China, and must rely on each other to survive while also trying to resist their growing feelings for one another.
45. A Chinese vampire must confront his dark past and the demons that haunt him in order to win the love of a human woman who is determined to save him, all while navigating the complex social and cultural expectations of Chinese society.
46. A vampire falls in love with a human who is immune to his powers of persuasion, and must find a way to win her over using his wits and charm.
47. A vampire and a human are thrown together on a journey across Europe, and must rely on each other to survive while also trying to resist their growing feelings for one another.
48. A vampire falls in love with a human who is reincarnated over and over again throughout history, and must find a way to be with her in each of her lives.
49. A vampire must confront his dark past and the demons that haunt him in order to win the love of a human woman who is determined to save him.
50. A vampire and a human are forced to marry for political reasons, but over time they grow to love each other despite their differences.
51. A young woman becomes a vampire against her will, and must learn to navigate her new powers and urges while also trying to hide her true identity from those she loves.
52. A vampire falls in love with a human who is allergic to sunlight, forcing him to confront his own inability to walk in the daylight.
53. A vampire and a human must navigate the complexities of a long-distance relationship, with the added challenge of the vampire's need to travel at night.
54. A human discovers that her true love is a vampire who has been alive for centuries, and must decide whether she is willing to give up her own mortality to be with him.
55. A vampire falls in love with a human who is obsessed with vampire folklore, but struggles to convince her that he is the real deal.
56. A vampire must choose between his love for a human woman and his loyalty to his coven.
57. A human discovers that her true love is a vampire, and must decide whether to join him in eternal life or let him go.
58. A vampire falls in love with a human who is being hunted by a group of vampire hunters, and must find a way to protect her while also hiding his true identity.
59. A group of vampires and humans must work together to defeat a common enemy, but as they spend more time together, they find themselves falling for one another.
60. A human falls in love with a vampire who has been alive for centuries, but struggles to accept the fact that he will never age.
61. A teenage girl discovers that she is descended from a long line of vampire hunters, but finds herself torn between her duty to destroy the vampires and her growing feelings for a mysterious, handsome vampire.
62. A group of vampires must learn to coexist with humans and navigate the challenges of modern society, while also trying to keep their true identities a secret.
63. A vampire and a human fall in love, but their relationship is complicated by the fact that the vampire must feed on human blood to survive.
64. A vampire and a human are thrown together on a journey across the world, and must rely on each other to survive while also trying to resist their growing feelings for one another.
65. A human woman discovers that she is the reincarnation of a vampire's long-lost love, and must come to terms with her newfound powers and the fact that she has been brought back to life for a purpose.
66. In Italy, a vampire falls in love with a human who is allergic to sunlight, forcing him to confront his own inability to walk in the daylight.
67. In Japan, a human discovers that her true love is a vampire who has been alive for centuries, and must decide whether she is willing to give up her own mortality to be with him.
68. In Brazil, a vampire and a human are thrown together on a journey across the country, and must rely on each other to survive while also trying to resist their growing feelings for one another.
69. In France, a vampire must confront his dark past and the demons that haunt him in order to win the love of a human woman who is determined to save him.
70. In India, a vampire and a human are forced to marry for political reasons, but over time they grow to love each other despite their differences.
71. In Australia, a young woman becomes a vampire against her will, and must learn to navigate her new powers and urges while also trying to hide her true identity from those she loves.
72. In Canada, a vampire falls in love with a human who is obsessed with vampire folklore, but struggles to convince her that he is the real deal.
73. In South Africa, a vampire and a human must navigate the complexities of a long-distance relationship, with the added challenge of the vampire's need to travel at night.
74. In Russia, a vampire falls in love with a human who is being hunted by a group of vampire hunters, and must find a way to protect her while also hiding his true identity.
75. In Germany, a group of vampires and humans must work together to defeat a common enemy, but as they spend more time together, they find themselves falling for one another.
76. A young woman falls in love with a mysterious, handsome vampire who has been alive for centuries, but struggles to accept the fact that he will never age.
77. A group of vampires must learn to coexist with humans and navigate the challenges of modern society, while also trying to keep their true identities a secret.
78. A vampire and a human fall in love, but their relationship is complicated by the fact that the vampire must feed on human blood to survive.
79. A vampire falls in love with a human who is immune to his charms, and must find a way to win her over without using his powers.
80. A young woman becomes a vampire against her will, and must learn to navigate her new powers and urges while also trying to hide her true identity from those she loves.
81. A vampire falls in love with a human who is reincarnated over and over again throughout history, and must find a way to be with her in each of her lives.
82. A vampire must confront his dark past and the demons that haunt him in order to win the love of a human woman who is determined to save him.
83. A vampire and a human are thrown together on a journey across Europe, and must rely on each other to survive while also trying to resist their growing feelings for one another.
84. A vampire falls in love with a human who is allergic to sunlight, forcing him to confront his own inability to walk in the daylight.
85. A vampire and a human must navigate the complexities of a long-distance relationship, with the added challenge of the vampire's need to travel at night.
86. A vampire falls in love with a human who is reincarnated over and over again throughout history, and must find a way to be with her in each of her lives.
87. A young woman becomes a vampire against her will, and must learn to navigate her new powers and urges while also trying to hide her true identity from those she loves.
88. A vampire and a human are thrown together on a journey across the world, and must rely on each other to survive while also trying to resist their growing feelings for one another.
89. A human discovers that her true love is a vampire who has been alive for centuries, and must decide whether she is willing to give up her own mortality to be with him.
90. A vampire falls in love with a human who is obsessed with vampire folklore, but struggles to convince her that he is the real deal.
91. A vampire must choose between his love for a human woman and his loyalty to his coven.
92. A human discovers that her true love is a vampire, and must decide whether to join him in eternal life or let him go.
93. A vampire falls in love with a human who is being hunted by a group of vampire hunters, and must find a way to protect her while also hiding his true identity.
94. A vampire and a human are forced to marry for political reasons, but over time they grow to love each other despite their differences.
95. A young woman falls in love with a mysterious, handsome vampire who has been alive for centuries, but struggles to accept the fact that he will never age.
96. A group of vampires must learn to coexist with humans and navigate the challenges of modern society, while also trying to keep their true identities a secret.
97. A vampire must confront his dark past and the demons that haunt him in order to win the love of a human woman who is determined to save him.
98. A vampire and a human are thrown together on a journey across Europe, and must rely on each other to survive while also trying to resist their growing feelings for one another.
99. A teenage girl discovers that she is descended from a long line of vampire hunters, but finds herself torn between her duty to destroy the vampires and her growing feelings for a mysterious, handsome vampire.
100. A vampire falls in love with a human who is reincarnated over and over again throughout history, and must find a way to be with her in each of her lives.
101. A vampire and a human are chosen by fate to defeat an ancient, powerful evil that threatens to destroy the world, but as they work together, they realize that they have feelings for each other.
102. A vampire falls in love with a human who possesses magical powers, but must keep their relationship a secret in order to protect her from those who would use her abilities for evil.
103. A young woman discovers that she is the reincarnation of a powerful vampire queen, and must come to terms with her newfound powers and the responsibilities that come with them while also trying to win the love of a handsome vampire prince.
104. A vampire and a human are thrown together in a fantastical world filled with mythical creatures and magical powers, and must learn to trust each other as they fight to survive against impossible odds.
105. A vampire falls in love with a human who is being hunted by a group of powerful sorcerers, and must find a way to protect her while also hiding his own magical abilities.
106. A vampire and a human must team up to find a legendary magical artifact before it falls into the wrong hands, but as they search for it, they find themselves falling for each other.
107. A young sailor falls in love with a vampire who has been stranded on a deserted island for centuries.
108. A vampire captain of a pirate ship falls for a human who has been taken prisoner and must decide between their love and their duty to their crew.
109. A group of vampires pose as sailors on a merchant ship, but their true nature is discovered when they are forced to confront a group of vicious sea monsters.
110. A vampire and a human who are both serving in the navy must hide their love from their superiors and fellow sailors.
111. A human naval officer falls in love with a vampire who has been sent to spy on their ship.
112. A vampire stows away on a ship and is discovered by the human captain, who they must convince to let them stay on board and keep their true nature a secret.
113. A vampire who has been cursed to turn into a sea monster every full moon falls in love with a human sailor who is trying to find a way to break the curse.
114. A vampire and a human who are both serving in the navy are assigned to a top-secret mission on a haunted ship.
115. A human sailor is turned into a vampire after being attacked by a vampire pirate and must navigate their new identity while also trying to win the love of their former captain.
116. A vampire who has been living on a deserted island for centuries is rescued by a human sailor, who they must convince not to reveal their existence to the outside world.
117. A human soldier falls in love with a vampire who has been serving in the military for centuries, keeping their true nature a secret.
118. A vampire and a human who are both serving in the military are deployed to a war-torn country and must navigate their forbidden love while also fighting for their lives.
119. A vampire who has been living in hiding on an army base is discovered by a human soldier, who they must convince to keep their secret.
120. A vampire who has been posing as a human in the military for decades is forced to confront their true identity when they fall in love with a fellow soldier.
121. A human soldier falls in love with a vampire who has been imprisoned by the military for their own protection.
122. A group of vampires who have been serving in the military for centuries must fight to protect their love and their secret when they are discovered by a group of humans who seek to use their abilities for their own gain.
123. A vampire who has been living in hiding on an army base is forced to reveal their true identity to save the life of a human soldier they have fallen in love with.
124. A human soldier is turned into a vampire after being attacked by a vampire while serving overseas and must navigate their new identity while also trying to win the love of their superior officer.
125. A vampire and a human who are both serving in the military are assigned to a top-secret mission to take down a rogue vampire who has been terrorizing civilians.
126. A human soldier falls in love with a vampire who has been serving in the military for centuries, but must confront the fact that their lover may have to live forever while they age and die.
127. A human scientist falls in love with a vampire who has been posing as a colleague, but must come to terms with the fact that their lover may never age.
128. A group of vampires who have been living in hiding in a research facility are discovered by a human scientist, who they must convince to keep their secret.
129. A vampire and a human who are both scientists must navigate their forbidden love while also working on a top-secret project that could change the world.
130. A human scientist is turned into a vampire after a laboratory accident and must navigate their new identity while also trying to win the love of their former mentor.
131. A vampire who has been posing as a human scientist for decades is forced to confront their true identity when they fall in love with a fellow scientist.
132. A vampire who has been living in hiding in a research facility for centuries is discovered by a human scientist, who they must convince to help them find a way to reverse their condition.
133. A human scientist falls in love with a vampire who has been held captive in a research facility, but must confront the ethical implications of their love.
134. A vampire and a human who are both scientists are assigned to work on a classified project in a remote research facility, where they must confront their feelings for each other.
135. A human scientist is captured by a group of vampires who are conducting secret experiments on humans and must find a way to escape while also trying to win the love of one of their captors.
136. A vampire scientist must confront their own morality when they fall in love with a human who is being used as a test subject in their experiments.
137. A vampire falls in love with a human during the American Revolutionary War, and must navigate their relationship while fighting for independence and freedom.
138. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the Victorian era, but their relationship is threatened by societal expectations and strict moral codes.
139. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the Roaring Twenties, and must navigate the glamour and excess of the jazz age while keeping their true identities hidden.
140. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during World War II, and must find a way to be together while fighting for their respective sides.
141. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the Civil Rights Movement, and must navigate their relationship while fighting for equality and justice.
142. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the Cold War, and must find a way to be together despite the tensions and suspicions between their countries.
143. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the Renaissance, and must navigate their relationship while navigating the cultural and artistic revolutions of the time.
144. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the Industrial Revolution, and must find a way to be together while navigating the rapid technological and societal changes of the time.
145. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the French Revolution, and must find a way to be together while fighting for liberty and justice.
146. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the Roman Empire, and must navigate their relationship while navigating the political and societal intricacies of the time.
147. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the Viking Age, and must find a way to be together while navigating the rough and dangerous world of the time.
148. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the Crusades, and must find a way to be together while fighting for their respective religious causes.
149. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the Ottoman Empire, and must navigate their relationship while navigating the diverse and complex cultural landscape of the time.
150. A vampire and a human meet and fall in love during the Ming Dynasty, and must find a way to be together while navigating the strict social hierarchy and cultural traditions of the time.
We hope these 150 vampire romance writing prompt ideas have sparked your creativity and given you some inspiration for your next writing project. Whether you're a fan of traditional vampire lore or looking to put a fresh spin on the genre, there's something here for everyone. Happy writing!
How to Make Money on Instagram Without Followers
How to get more tips as a server: 26 tricks.
37 Writing Prompts About Vampires
Count Dracula is not the only vampire well known in literature. There are countless other examples to draw inspiration for our writing.
These writing prompts are great for use around Halloween and are also great fun anytime you want to break up some of the usual creative writing with something on the lighter side.
After all, these are prompts that your students should be able to sink their teeth into!
A fun way to use these prompts would be to write them on bats and display them one way or another for students to choose from.
Or there are always the gummy fangs that could be used to pick prompts.
These are all prompts that any student should be able to write on, so have some fun. Go Batty!
Prompts to Salivate Over
- Write a story about a vampire and a werewolf.
- What other animal should a vampire change into besides a bat? Describe what would happen.
- Do you like vampires or some other mythological creature better?
- Describe what makes the best vampires?
- Who is the scariest vampire you can think of? Why did you pick them?
- Did you read Twilight? Was it believable to you? Why or why not?
- Describe the kind of vampire you would be.
- Do you think that vampires have a blood type that they prefer? Why? Which one?
- Do vampires only drink blood? What other kinds of vampires do you think there are?
- Start a vampire story: “It was a warm summer day, and no bats should be flying, except there could be one seen…”
- Write a story about a vampire who doesn’t like the taste of blood.
- Make up a story about a vampire and his best friend, the ghost.
- Write a story that tells why vampires are nocturnal.
- Create a vampire who is also an animal and write a story about them.
- Do you believe that vampires are real? Why or why not?
- Do you think there is a good reason for the creation of the vampire?
- Why do we want to believe in things like vampires? Can you think of a good reason?
- Describe what the world would be like if everyone were vampires instead of regular humans.
- Write a story about a vampire’s perfect day.
- Discuss the scariest thing that you think of when someone says, vampire. Why is that scary to you?
- What is the importance of the vampire myth to society as a whole? What purpose does it serve?
- Write a story about vampires on vacation. Where would they go, and what would they do?
- Create a story about a place where vampires can go outside in the sunlight.
- Write about a vampire and his best friend, the werewolf.
- Are you a fan of vampire novels? What makes them so appealing to people?
- Why do you think that vampires need to turn into bats? Describe the motivation?
- Write the origin story of a vampire who wants to drink chocolate milk instead of blood.
- Describe what you would do if you met a vampire.
- Create a story about a vampire who only wanted to be loved.
- What kind of pet do you think a vampire would have? Why did you choose that pet?
- Do you think that vampires get lonely? Why?
- Write a story about a sensitive vampire who wants to be an artist.
- Rewrite a story and change the main character to a vampire. See how it ends up!
- What kind of place would you want to live in if you were a vampire?
- Do you believe that vampires can be good instead of evil?
- Describe what it would be like if your grandma were a vampire.
- What would you do if all your friends were vampires, but you weren’t? Write a story about this scenario.
Mouth Watering for More?
We’ve got thousands of other free writing resources across our website, and you can find all sorts of fun and creative prompts to inspire young minds.
There are a lot of prompts as well as other educational resources you could be interested in.
If you feel like we missed something or know of a resource we missed and would like to share with us, Please feel free to let us know by sending an email.
We can’t wait to hear from you!
- Create a Website
- $1,000 Blog Tour
- Happiness Tour
- 5/11 Blog Tour
- Guest Posts
- Writing Prompts
- Writing Exercises
- Writing Tips
- Holiday Writing
- Writing Contest
- Comedy Channel
- Prompts eBook
- Kids Writing Book
- 9 to 5 Writer Book
- Writing Tips eBook
- Happiness Book
- TpT Reviews
- Read These Books
- Motivation Help
- Time Management
- Healthy Living
- Grades 9-10
- Grades 11-12
- First Grade
- Second Grade
- Third Grade
- Fourth Grade
- Fifth Grade
- 1,000 Character Writing Prompts
- 1,000 Creative Holiday Prompts
Free Character Writing Prompts #9: Vampires
Here are 10 bloodcurdling character writing prompts focusing on vampires! While I was a major fan of horror movies growing up, vampires never really interested me all that much. I laughed at them when they were portrayed in cartoons or other mediums because they seemed like such ridiculous characters: turning into a bat or a puff of smoke at a moment's notice. When I saw the pilot episode of Joss Whedon's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," my entire concept of what a vampire could be completely changed. While Whedon's advances for the character type have been somewhat bastardized by book series' like Twilight, we now know that a vampire can be a creature with or without a soul who may have a human past influenced by multiple cultures. This potential allows a vampire to come from many different backgrounds with the possibility for many types of desires. Free Character Writing Prompts #9: Vampires
1. About six weeks ago, on a walk down the wrong alley, he was turned into vampire on the way back from a high school field trip. He'd never been the most popular kids, but he had never been a laughing stock like he was on the trip when his swimming trunks fell completely off in the beach in front of over 100 students. Where he had previously been upset, now he was angry and ready to get revenge on those who mocked him. His parents worried when he moved to the basement and began carrying what seemed like body bags around, but he'd always been a straight A student, so there had to be some explanation, right? Describe his attempts to get revenge and what happens after he exacts it.
2. When he grew up in the early 1800s, he knew that he wanted to protect people from thieves, murderers and other criminals. He was starting to work his way up when he was attacked and turned by a vampire. He had learned from stories that they were heartless, soulless and purely evil, but aside from never aging and having the hunger for blood, he felt exactly the same. He continued on for nearly a decade in his position before people got suspicious. He faked his own death and continued elsewhere. He continues the practice to this very day, keeping his hunger at bay with a nearby butcher shop and fighting to ensure the safety of humanity from human and not so human dangers. What has it been like for him, starting over every so often and never being able to show his true self?
3. She thought that it would be cool becoming a vampire and she asked a client to turn her one day after they had sex in lieu of paying her. While she felt vibrant and powerful, she still needed to pay the bills and continued in her line of work. She didn't tell that many people about her change but they knew just by looking at her and they gave her some distance. In fact, several of her best clients were now afraid of her, as much as they tried to convince her otherwise. She was beautiful and in the prime of her life and she believed that freezing herself like that was the best course of action. Now she wished that she could reconsider. What is the next step for her and will she need to change her line of work?
4. She had come to terms with her death at the ripe old age of 87. Now she was 187 because her grandson, who she was very fond of, had become a vampire and turned everybody in his family, simply to keep them around forever. She had always preached the importance of family and she definitely appreciated the gesture. Turning into a vampire had given her a boost of strength and energy she hadn't enjoyed for years, though it was pretty strange that she glimmered in the sunlight. She had a wild sense of humor and loved telling jokes to her family during their yearly reunions. She felt blessed getting a chance to live an entire extra lifetime after believing she wasn't long for this world. Will she continue to live out her days for another hundred years and why?
5. The doctors at the very alternative clinic hoped that turning him into a vampire would restore the use of his legs. He had been a very highly recruited quarterback for his state-champion football team before a tackle gone wrong left him paralyzed from the waist down. After vampires were revealed to the world a few years ago, many diseases had been essentially cured by turning the victim into an immortal. The procedure didn't work. His days of being the most popular, fastest running, best-looking kid in school was over and he was bummed out. Now he felt like even more of an outcast. What will this former pretty boy quarterback do to make his life enjoyable again now that he's an immortal vampire?
6. He was a count before it was cool to be a count. When he told people that he was a vampire from Transylvania, they simply laughed at him, before he absolutely whooped their butts. Long before people knew about vampires and wanted to become them, he was sneaking around Europe as one of the first stalkers of the night. Over time his powers had accrued and he knew that no vampire along could touch him. Despite that, he felt like he was having a midlife crisis and wondered if it was even worth being immortal when so many others were walking around just like him. He missed the peace and quiet of the night and knowing he was special. How will this aged vampire begin to feel whole again during his "midlife" crisis?
7. She provided a very important service to the vampire community that few humans knew about. While it seems that most people are turned into blood-thirsty creatures during their teens and twenties, there are actually some children who are never able to advance beyond their early age because of their immortality. As a result, she decided to create a night care center for vampire parents to look after the children. It can be tough taking care of a group of powerful, fanged kids for an entire evening, but she is proud to bring her skills during her human life into her vampire life. She smiles more than most nighttime creatures and has a special gift beyond simple siring with the young ones. How did she become a vampire herself and what is a night for her like with all the vampire kiddies?
8. In her first week of being a vampire, she was extremely excited to use her powers and to drain the blood of attractive male humans. The only problem was that she tended to underestimate her strength. The first man she brought back to her apartment was so much more gorgeous than anyone she'd ever been with during her life and when she pulled him close to her, she accidentally ripped out his neck and spine. She was more gentle with the next guy, but after tying him up to her bed, she pulled him a bit too hard and snapped his arms off. This was getting to be ridiculous, she thought as she was spending more time cleaning up than eating. During her life she had been a good problem solver and she thought long and hard about her ordeal. She decided that she would have to practice being gentle with humans and to do so would mean not eating them for little while. How do her attempts at keeping her snacks from breaking apart go for her?
9. While most are excited to become vampires, he had a promising future as a professional football player and he asked around to see if there was someway to remove the curse of vampirism. He heard of an ancient monk living deep within the Himalayans who might be able to return vampires back into humans. He knew that he was strong, but he took a few friends with him just to make sure he didn't end up frozen at the top of a mountain. Throughout the trip, his friends tried to convince him to remain a vampire, even threatening that they'd turn him right back or kill him after reaching the destination. He wondered if it was possible that living forever might be more enjoyable than living the high life for a short period of time. What decision does he end up making and is the ancient monk able to reverse his condition?
10. It's tough being a suburban housewife to a family of vampires, especially when you can't get any chores done during the day. Her son was the first to be turned and slowly but surely he turned the rest of the family. It wasn't easy at first to explain everything away to the neighbors, claiming they had longer hours and that they sent the kids to a far-off private school during the day. Shopping had to be done at 24-hour grocery stores and it was nearly impossible to find a maid who the kids wouldn't try to snack on when nobody was looking. She had always wanted to be a devoted wife and mother and if that meant keeping a few secrets and killing a few snoopers, these were just consequences of achieving her goal. Will she be successful at keeping her family secret, especially when the four of them never age past their current appearances? Done with Writing Prompts about Vampires? Go back to Creative Writing Prompts.
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
- Latest Posts
Write a Story Based on These Prompts or This Article!
Use the above prompts or article as inspiration to write a story or other short piece.
Enter Your Title
Add a Picture/Graphic Caption (optional)
Click here to upload more images (optional)
Author Information (optional)
To receive credit as the author, enter your information below.
Submit Your Contribution
- Check box to agree to these submission guidelines .
- I am at least 16 years of age.
- I understand that you will display my submission on your website.
(You can preview and edit on the next page)
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Discovering who you are. Not rated yet Lauras family always knew she would turn out different. Her family were vampires, however she was not yet one of them. Approaching her seventeen birthday …
Click here to write your own.
- What's New?
Vampire Story Ideas
By: Author Paul Jenkins
Posted on Published: May 22, 2022 - Last updated: July 10, 2023
Categories Writing , Creativity , Filmmaking , Storytelling
Do you feel like writing a vampire story, but don’t know where to start? Then look no further! In this post, we’ll go over several vampire story ideas and give you the information you need to get started. Whether you’re an experienced writer or just starting out, these tips will help you write a vampire novel or short story that readers won’t be able to put down. Have fun with your writing!
Why Vampire Story Ideas Are So Compelling
Since Bram Stoker’s 1897 novel Dracula, the notion of vampires has been one of the most important horror and thriller tropes. The central characters of Count Dracula, the most famous vampire in literary history, and Jonathan Harker entered the lexicon.
The movies were not slow to catch up, with the 1922 film Nosferatu remaining iconic to this day.
In recent years, vampire fiction has seen a resurgence with books like Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series and films like The Lost Boys and Blade .
One of the things that makes the vampire myth and vampire stories so compelling is that they can be set in a variety of different time periods and locations.
For example, you could tell a story set in modern times, with vampires having to adapt to the 21st-century world, or you could tell a historical vampire story set in Victorian England. You could even write a science fiction vampire story set in outer space or in a completely imaginary world.
Another aspect that makes vampire stories so interesting is the different powers and abilities that vampires can have. Some vampires can fly, some can turn into bats or wolves, and some can even control the weather. There are also various weaknesses that vampires have, such as not being able to enter a house unless invited or being destroyed by sunlight.
Then, of course, there is the fundamental fear and mysticism associated with human blood and the idea that it would be food for other creatures. One of the reasons why rabies is so frightening to many.
How to Start Brainstorming for Your Vampire Story
A good way to start brainstorming for your vampire story is to think of a time period and location for your story, and then think about what kind of vampire you want your main character to be. Should it be an all-powerful vampire lord or a young, inexperienced vampire who’s just learning about his abilities?
Another way to start brainstorming for your vampire book would be to come up with a really good premise or twist for your story. For example, you could write a story where the vampires are actually the good guys and are fighting a group of humans who want to destroy them.
Or you could write a story where the vampires are trying to find a cure for their condition and are fighting other vampires who want to make them immortal.
Whatever twist you choose, make sure it’s something that will really surprise your readers and keep them hooked.
What Makes a Good Vampire Story
A good vampire story is one that’s well written, has elements of horror and the supernatural, and isn’t too cliché.
A story that sticks to the traditional vampire stereotype might have a vampire who lives in a dark castle, wears black clothes, has long, pale hair, and isn’t very interesting.
However, a story that contains elements of horror and the supernatural consists of elements of the vampire’s struggle against his condition, such as trying to resist the urge to murder for blood or the urge to sleep in his coffin during the day, and elements of the horror genre, such as violence, horror, and fear.
There are many different elements that can go into a vampire story, such as mythology, lore, and legends, but it’s important to keep these things in moderation.
For example, if you’re planning a vampire story set in ancient Rome, you don’t want your vampire to have a Japanese name like “Akira” and tattoos on his neck!
A good story will make readers question their knowledge of vampires and maybe even question their own existence.
Another important aspect of a good vampire story is having the right protagonist. For example, the protagonist of your story could be an evil vampire who only wants to feed on humans and fights some vampire hunters.
Another possibility would be a protagonist who fights his hunger for human blood but has a good heart and doesn’t want to hurt humans. Or you could have a protagonist who fights both humans and other vampires who want to kill him.
Questions to Ask Yourself When Creating Your Vampire Characters
- Who’s your main character?
- What kind of vampire is she?
- What’s her main motivation or goal?
- What do they look like?
- What’re their strengths and weaknesses?
- Are there other characters in your story that are important to the plot ?
- What kind of relationship does your character have with the other characters in your story?
Create Memorable Characters
One of the most important aspects of writing a good vampire story is to create good, memorable characters.
When writing your characters, you need to make sure they’re interesting, have good personalities, and have weaknesses.
Good weaknesses make your characters more interesting and can help make the story more exciting.
How to Describe a Vampire in a Story
When writing a vampire story, it’s important to make your vampires interesting and unique. One way to do that is to describe them well.
A compelling vampire character description is one where the vampire’s drives are unmistakable and you can’t escape them. This is a core aspect of vampire mythology.
The hunger for blood should be all-consuming, and the need for human flesh should be a constant craving.
The vampire could be pale and have dark circles under his eyes, and his teeth are usually sharp and deadly.
Their nails could be long and sharp and their eyes red or black. They should be described as fast, strong, and agile. Usually, they’re also described as seductive, alluring, and hypnotic.
What’re the Differences Between a Demon and a Vampire?
The main difference between a vampire and a demon is that vampires are undead creatures that feed on humans, while demons are spiritual beings that feed on negative energy.
Both vampires and demons are immortal, but vampires are created when a human is bitten, while demons are created when a human is infused with negative energy.
Demons are supernatural beings controlled by their master, while vampires are supernatural beings controlled by their thirst for human blood.
Many demons have the same powers as vampires, such as flying and shape-shifting, and the same weaknesses, such as sunlight and holy water, and can even be considered a type of vampire.
Another difference between vampires and demons is that demons usually possess a person, while vampires are physical beings.
Vampires are usually immortal, while demons aren’t. Demons can usually only travel through shadows or darkness, while vampires can travel anywhere.
Vampire Story Ideas for You to Use
Some ideas for your vampire tale might be:
Story Idea #1: A Young Woman Who’s Turned Into a Vampire Against Her Will and Must Come to Terms With Her New Identity
A young woman, who’s just discovering her powers, is excited about the new possibilities. She can fly, transform into a bat or a wolf, and even control the weather. But she’s also aware of the dangers that come with being a vampire.
She knows that she must be careful not to reveal her abilities to humans, or she’d risk being discovered and destroyed.
Despite these dangers, the young woman is determined to explore her abilities and learn more about what it means to be a vampire. She’s excited about what she can do with her new powers and looks forward to discovering everything she’s capable of.
She’s determined to make the most of her new situation and become the powerful vampire lord she knows she can be.
Story Idea #2: A Group of Vampires Trying to Survive in a World That’s Slowly Becoming Uninhabitable for Them
As the years pass, the world becomes more and more hostile to vampires. The sun’s rays become more harmful, silver becomes more deadly, and garlic becomes more effective in warding them off. Fewer and fewer people become vampires, and those that do often don’t survive long.
The remaining group of vampires is determined to find a way to survive. They search for a place where they can live in safety and in secret, away from the dangers of the outside world. They find an old abandoned castle that seems to be the perfect refuge for them.
But as they begin to settle into their new home, they discover that they aren’t the only ones hiding in the castle. There are other creatures there who’re just as desperate to hide from the outside world. And not all of them are friendly.
Story Idea #3: A Detective Investigating a Series of Murders That May Have Been Committed by a Vampire
The victims all have strange puncture wounds on their necks and all seem to have been killed in a very specific way. The murders all have characteristics of vampire killings, but there’s one thing that makes him believe that not everything is as it seems.
As he investigates further, the detective realizes that there might be more to the murders than meets the eye. He theorizes that the killer may not be a vampire at all, but something even more dangerous.
The closer he gets to the truth, the clearer it becomes to the detective that he may be in over his head. But he’s determined to solve the case, even if it means putting himself in danger.
Prompts for Some More Vampire Stories and Short Stories You Can Write
- A vampire in New Orleans struggling with his bloodlust and trying not to kill people.
- A group of humans trying to find a cure for vampirism before it completely wipes out the human race.
- A female vampire protagonist who struggles with her new identity in New York as a vampire
- A love story between the protagonist and another vampire, that tests vampire lore.
- The protagonist tries to fit in with the other vampires but finds it difficult.
- A young woman moves into a new house in San Francisco and discovers that she’s not the only one living there – a vampire has been living in the attic for years, and he’s not happy about her arrival.
- A woman is attacked by a vampire, but she’s able to fight him off and decides to keep him as a prisoner.
- A woman finds out that her husband is a vampire and that she’s unwittingly helped him feed on human blood.
- A woman is turned into a vampire against her will and must come to terms with her new reality.
- A group of friends venture into a haunted house and are terrorized by a vampire. Their only option is to become a vampire slayer.
- A small town is terrorized by a group of suspected vampires who’ve come from outside the town. The townspeople don’t know what to do because the police can’t seem to catch them. Until a vampire hunter rides into town.
- A family is celebrating Christmas when they realize that one of their relatives has turned into a vampire and is trying to drink their blood. They’ve to figure out how to get rid of him before he kills them all.
- A young girl goes missing and it turns out that she’s been kidnapped by vampiric creatures who want to use her as food. Her parents are desperately searching for her, not knowing that she’s already dead.
- Two vampires fall in love and decide to escape together, but they soon realize that it’s not as easy as they thought – they’ve to find a way to survive with human blood without getting caught.
Vampire Stories and Characters You need to Know
True Blood – American fantasy horror TV series, main character Bill Compton
Bram Stoker’s Dracula
Stephen King’s The Dark Tower series
Lord Byron’s tale of The Vampyre , set to prose by John William Polidori
Fledgling by Octavia Butler
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer, with lead character Bella Swan
The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice
The Vampire Diaries series
Nosferatu (1922) is arguably the most iconic vampire movie